Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Patishapta With Rabdi Filling

Patishapta with rabdi filling & a scattering of pistachios and rose petals
Sometimes to rectify one dish another needs to be created. This was what happened to me. I made rabdi yesterday but it turned out to be a little too sweet. Instead of using a spoon. I poured the sugar from the packet and more than what was intended went into the thickened milk. Sigh! And patishapta seemed to be the answer. I could use the sweet filling without a sweetened batter!

Patishapta, is a term in Bengali for crepes made of a mix of all-purpose flour and semolina. The filling is usually of sweetened coconut or rice pudding. A delightful dish which is widely consumed during the winter months. In this case, I added rice flour too as I had some left over and I wanted to finish it off. The only ingredient I didn't use was sugar to the batter as I needed to balance out the sweetness of the filling.
I made the rabdi with 1 litre of milk. This was left on a low flame and stirred from time to time so that the milk would not catch at the bottom of the pan. Towards the end I added sugar and a pinch of saffron. You could add cardamom but I left it out.
Ingredients:
For the crepes.....
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsps semolina
3 tsps rice flour
Milk as needed
Oil/butter/ghee to fry the crepes
Rabdi made from a litre of milk
Generally the flours are mixed together to a smooth paste with milk. But since I had the larger granules of semolina, I decided to soak it in milk. I also added the rice flour and mixed it well before placing the bowl in the fridge. I added the all-purpose flour the next morning before making the crepes.
Mix all the flours to a smooth paste by adding some more milk. The batter should be thick but spread-able.
Heat a non-stick pan and drizzle it with oil.
With a round ladle, scoop up the batter and pour it in the pan.
Swirl the pan around so that the batter spreads and takes the shape of the pan.
Let it cook for a few minutes. Add the filling in the middle. I used three tsps of rabdi for each crepe.
Fold on both sides and let it remain for a couple of minutes before you remove it to a platter.
Repeat till the batter is used up. In my case the outcome was four crepes with a bit of the filling left over. This I slathered on the crepes before eating. 
Before serving, scatter the sliced pistachios and rose petals on the patishapta.

Our breakfasts are never this festive. But it's September and we are looking forward to the cooler months and this seemed like a good start.:)) And the balance of sweetness with this combination was just right! The rose petals I used here are home grown.
Happy September!
Post a Comment