Saturday, May 20, 2017

Elaneer Pudding/Tender Coconut Pudding

Elaneer pudding/tender coconut pudding

I had seen recipes of this pudding on blogs but never made it. This dish comes from Kerala, the land of coconuts and is also made in certain areas of Tamil Nadu. The other day as we picked a few tender coconuts from my one and only tree, the thought of this dessert came to mind. I usually use coconut milk and the grated coconut is added to curries and cakes.
The harvest isn't as good as before but I'm glad I can still get a few coconuts from my tree. The dish I made didn't use gelatine or agar agar. This was inspired by Raks Kitchen.
Coconuts on my tree, the reduced milk and coconut water/tender pulp

Ingredients:
1 litre full fat milk
1/3 cup condensed milk
1/3 cup tender coconut pulp
1/2 cup tender coconut water
1 tsp ghee
A pinch of cardamom powder
10-15 cashew nuts
About 4 tbs thick coconut milk

Method:
Pour the milk in a heavy-bottomed pan and boil till it is reduced to half its quantity.
In my case I should have stopped a little earlier. The reduced milk was enough for three servings only.
Meanwhile chop up the pulp or put both water and pulp in a blender and grind coarsely.
Set aside a bit of the pulp for decoration.
Add the condensed milk to the reduced milk and give it a good stir.
Add the cardamom and mix well.
Let it come down to room temperature.
Add the coarsely ground mixture to the dish. Chill for a couple of hours.
Heat the ghee and fry the cashew nuts till they turn golden brown.
Divide the pudding between three serving bowls. Top with the reserved chopped pulp and scatter the fried nuts.
Take about two teaspoonfuls of thick coconut milk and pour on the surface of the dessert. The coconut milk also came from the same tree.:)

This is best served chilled. And it's best if consumed on the same day.
This is one dish I'll make again. It is so refreshing and I didn't make it really sweet. The combination of milk, a hint of sweetness, the cardamom, and the tender coconut.... is a magical combination.
There are many variations/additions to this dish. The next time I make it, I'll use more tender coconut. I had to make do with what I had at that point of time.

Thank you for stopping by today.
Post a Comment