Monday, April 10, 2017

Pie With Mulberry Jam Filling


The haul of goodies that came back with me from Kashmir included a bottle of mulberry jam. And pie was the first thing that came to my mind. What's new...you all must be thinking...A pie with the fresh fruit would have been ideal but we are talking about a fruit that spoils easily. And since I don't have them growing in my garden (although the seeds I sowed have sprouted and grown) jam isn't a bad choice.

I was happy to get this bottle of jam in a supermarket as I was looking for a particular brand of masala. It is mentioned on the label that this was introduced for the first time by JKAIDCL (Jammu & Kashmir State Agro Industries Development Corporation). Mulberry or shahtoot has medicinal properties the details, in case you are interested, can be found here.
Walnuts, sour cream and the mixture.

A saffron field in Pampore
I didn't want to fill up my pie with with the sweetness of jam so I scoured the internet and came across a recipe that I liked. Of course I didn't follow it down to the last detail. It included sour cream and pecans. But I used walnuts that I brought back with me. We got some lovely local produce from a shop near Pampore. The town is referred to as the Saffron Town of Kashmir because of the high-grade saffron grown here.

Ingredients:
For the pastry
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
100 grams butter, chilled and cubed
1 egg
Iced water to sprinkle if the egg isn't enough to bind the dough
( I did not add sugar to the dough as I didn't want the pie to be overly sweet). 
Method:
Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
Place the flour in a large bowl and add the butter. Using the tips of your fingers, rub the butter into the flour till the mixture is crumbly.
Add the egg and bring the dough together.
Shape it into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for at least 40 minutes.
If you plan this ahead, let the dough rest overnight.
Take out the dough and cut enough out to roll into a circle that's a little bigger than your pie dish.
Prick gently with a fork on the surface. Let this rest in the fridge as you get the filling ready.

The filling:
Mulberry jam (I used half from the 500 g bottle)
2 yolks + 1 yolk for the egg wash
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbs almond extract
A pinch of cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts

Beat the egg yolks and add the sour cream to it. Add the next four ingredients and give it a good whisk. Lastly, add the walnuts.
Take the rested pastry bottom and spread the jam on it.
Quickly roll out the other half of the dough and set it aside.
Pour the egg/sour cream mixture on top of the jam.
Cover the pastry with the other half. Cut off excess dough and tuck the sides inwards..
Create a pattern with a fork on the edges to make it more secure.
Cut out patterns with any left-over dough and paste on the surface by using the egg wash.
Prick with a fork on the surface for steam to escape while baking. I left this out as the dough tore in three places. Which is why these flower patterns are not symmetrically placed. Tearing is always asymmetrical.:)

Brush with egg and bake in a preheated 200 C oven for 20 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 180 C and bake till the pie is golden brown. This may require another 15-20 minutes. Before the pie went into the oven, it did feel that the filling was not enough. But as it baked it swelled up and did its bit of filling the kitchen with magical aromas. The addition of eggs/sour cream mixture and also not adding sugar to the pastry dough cut down the sweetness of the jam. I had a slice with a dollop of sour cream and fennel leaves. Better than a regular jam pie.:)
Post a Comment