Saturday, April 15, 2017

Chicken Leg Quarters In Fried Onion Sauce


I made this about two weeks ago. It was simply cooked but full of flavour. I'm so stuck into curried versions that I don't really try to make other variations as often as I should. (Food blogger's point of view:)). 

Ingredients:
2 chicken leg quarters
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and ground
1 small piece of ginger, peeled and ground
Salt to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
A dash of cumin (roasted and ground)
1/2 tsp roasted and ground coriander
2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
Enough vegetable oil to deep-fry the onions
A bunch of cooked spinach to serve along with this dish

Marinate the chicken with the first four ingredients for an hour.
Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions till they are crisp and golden brown.
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper.
Let them cool then grind the lot into a paste.
In another pan, take about two tablespoons of the oil that the onions were fried in.
Add the marinated chicken and cook by turning at regular intervals for about 15-20 minutes.
Then add the pepper, chilli powder, coriander, cumin and the onion paste.
Pour a bit of water so that there's some sauce-like gravy. Cook for some more minutes till the chicken is done and the gravy is thick.
Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and pour the sauce on top.
Arrange the spinach on the sides. Decorate with herbs or edible flowers.

With the spinach, I removed the stems and used only the leaves. These were washed and cooked in a pan for a few minutes till they wilted. I added a pinch of salt and a dash of ground pepper.
The stems went into a dish of curried potatoes on another day. I also love to add the stems to dal.

I had intended to use the onions for another dish. But I changed my mind and ground them up. It worked like magic.This dish goes well with both rice or rotis.
Post a Comment