Saturday, March 18, 2017

Savoury Pumpkin Muffins With Pea Shoot & Strawberry Salad


The other day I used a whole pumpkin to cook rice in it. The seeds and stringy bits were discarded and the shell made a lovely and fragrant 'rice pot'. Since some pieces were left over (after sharing with friends), two slices were mashed and made into chutney and the remaining slices went into these muffins.

These are the ingredients that went into the muffins:
A bunch of tender amaranth (picked from my pots)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 tbs dried basil (from my potted garden)
1 cup pumpkin pureed with
1/3 cup milk
3 eggs (the picture shows 2 but I added one more)
11/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup crumbled Feta
A few rashers of bacon
2 chillies, one green and one red, chopped
1 tbs ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil + extra for frying the onions and the greens

Method:
Wash and chop up the greens. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the bacon for a few minutes. Remove and set aside. You can chop/break them up into smaller pieces.
In the same oil, add the onions and cook til they turn pale. Remove.
Add the greens in the same pan and cook till they are almost done. Remove and let it cool.
Add all the wet ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.Then add the dry ingredients and mix well. 
Fill the muffin moulds with the mix and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
I used a silicone mould for 6 and the rest of the batter went into a paper-lined muffin tin. Which is why I did not have to use extra oil/butter to grease the moulds.
The batter yielded 14 muffins. The ones baked in the muffin tin were smaller in size.

Since the muffins were savoury. I thought a salad would make a lovely accompaniment. I used pea shoots (again from my pots) and strawberries and a handful of spinach. The dressing had mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, spring onions, salt and extra virgin olive oil. For a bit of crunch I added pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin I had used in cooking. It was indeed a good combination. 
Post a Comment