Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Toffee Bananas

Toffee bananas
Toffee bananas
When I first saw this classic Chinese dessert on Food Safari, I couldn't wait to try it. But other recipes came in between and this one never got made. So when my sis-in-law sent me two bunches of beautiful bananas the other day, I thought I should do them justice by making this dessert. These bananas are locally known as Jahaji.
I only used one and a half.:) Receiving produce in that quantity, I have to gift some away as well. With three people in the house and one who does not have bananas, even one bunch is too much!
With bananas, the variation that is mashed and mixed with flour, sugar, cream/milk and made into fritters is a popular snack.
Coming back to the recipe, it's the one on the SBS website. The recipe is by Danny Yeum.

Ingredients:
50 grams self-raising flour
25 grams cornflour+ extra for dusting
90 ml cold water
Vegetable oil for deep frying
2 bananas, peeled and cut into thick slices diagonally
120 grams white sugar
A bowl of iced water for 'setting' the caramel
Black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling
Ice cream to serve
I halved the recipe and left out the ice cream. Maybe another day. And since I do not usually use self-raising flour, I added a pinch of baking powder to the flour.

Method:
Whisk together the flour and the baking powder mix. Add the cornflour. Then add the water and whisk into a smooth batter. Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil in the mixture.
Heat a wok and add enough oil to fry the bananas.
Coat each banana slice in cornflour (you can toss them in the flour). Dip each banana slice in the batter and fry. The frying can be done in batches till they turn golden and crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and cook till it turns into caramel. Shake the pan in between.
Remove from the heat and add one fried banana to the caramel. Turn so that all sides are coated.
Then plunge the caramel-covered banana to a bowl of iced water to harden the caramel. Drain immediately.
Remove. Repeat till all the bananas are used up.
Transfer the bananas to a serving platter and sprinkle the black and white sesame seeds on top.
The crunch of the caramel as you bite into a fried banana slice is wonderful. 
I couldn't make mine look as good as the one on that site but as for the taste, I'm happy! 
Post a Comment